Saturday, April 3, 2010

Just a Little Information to Tide You Over

I won't pretend that this is not an overwhelming experience to be here. First of all we don't have our luggage. It should be arriving from Houston on Continental's next flight to Quito. Getting upset wouldn't help. So I am not. I will definitely appreciate having my meager wardrobe back. And toiletries. We bought toothbrush and toothpaste at the farmacia near the hotel. Since everything was behind the counter and I am still shy about my Spanish usage I pointed to the first toothbrush and toothpaste I saw. (By the way don't ask me why I didn't put these in my carry on. We did put extra socks and underwear in our carry on.) The woman behind the counter was very nice - she showed us the cheaper, generic brands, and that is all we needed. She didn't try to milk the Americans.


The altitude sickness is not too bad but still has made us want to take it easy. So today we went to a park in the Mariscal Sucre area of the city. The touristy part that is close to our hotel. We are in La Floresta neighborhood. It is quiet and residential, but in walking distance to some places that we are putting on our list for the next couple of days of places to see and things to do.


The park was a good choice for our first day. There was some beautiful art done by locals and set up on the sidewalk. Trees and texture seem to be a theme. (I also saw a pug and got to pet him.)

We also recognized a girl who was also a victim of left behind luggage. (Hey Bush - there should have been a no luggage left behind law for Texas). The Canadian citizen recognized us as well. She was with her friend (who had flown through Panama but is also Canadian) to start their adventure in the jungle for three weeks. I really hope she gets her luggage back soon too. At least we will be here several days... clean bodies but dirty clothes. I guess I could buy some or do a little wash in our sink. Oh the fun has begun....


1 comment:

  1. That's too bad about the luggage--but I'm so excited for your adventure to have started! And keep up the good work on the blog. The writing by both of you is lovely.

    ReplyDelete