Sunday, July 4, 2010

Food I Remember

Today we had a nice stroll through Recoleta, an upscale neighborhood in Buenos Aires. They have a big outdoor crafts market every weekend. Though it is winter here it was one of those unseasonably warm days that we sometimes get. It felt like fall and spring at the same time.

Brian and I went to make sure this place we made reservations at (Casa SaltShaker), did exist and/or that we knew how to get there. On our way we found a cute little tea place. I needed it. I didn't have anything exotic... just some good Indian Chai. That is exotic here.

A while back my friend Allison asked me to write a bit more about the food we have been trying... I had some homemade spicy chicken wings made by new friends that I met through our mutual friend Suzanne. She knew them before she came down here to visit us. Very nice people who have great taste in music, candy, ice cream, and chicken wings.

But that is not exactly what Allison wanted to know... I think it was more along the lines of some regional foods that we've tried. Even though I know I have had lots of good food, I don't remember details. Except for the ceviche we had in Punta del Este, Uruguay. That is the most memorable. Brian and I still nostalgically think back on it. We had ceviche in Peru where it is supposed to be the best, and very different from that found in Ecuador, as well as other countries. What made this so memorable was the ginger... I think. It was served on a bed of arugula and other leafy greens with an accompaniment of mango. But the fish... I don't remember the name... was a white fish native to the ocean surrounding Punta Del Este. It was marinated in lime, which is standard, but also....ginger. I have a thing for ginger. We had this at a restaurant called Lo de Charlie.

Other meals are memorable more for the atmosphere, companionship, and presentation than for the actual food. Partly because alcohol was consumed. Map was a great restaurant experience in Cusco, Peru. The design and decor was unique. The pisco sours were really good and I know the food was good but trying to remember would be like trying to remember a dream from months ago. I do remember the dessert. It was a chocolate truffle with each truffle set on the plate so artistically that it was too pretty to eat. But I did. In order to get to one truffle I had to break apart this shot glass made of sugar. I suppose I could have just bit in to the shot glass but that probably would have not been so graceful and we were in a fancy restaurant. This excursion from the typical set menu or cheap dinner options we tried on this trip was not too pricey once converting soles to US dollars. And even though I don't remember the details it was a good night out and worth it.

I am sure I will have more to say on food. This upcoming Friday we are going to a closed door restaurant. If you want to know more about that, go to the Casa Saltshaker website.

1 comment:

  1. The local fish in Punta del Este -- no doubt what was in the ceviche -- is called "brotola."

    ReplyDelete